March 28, 2023
On Saturday, March 25, 2023, Prince George County Public Schools' Athletic Hall of Fame held its second-ever induction ceremony at Prince George High School in its commons area.
Continuing the tradition born out of last year's inductees, this year's class features icons of Prince George County whose names and accomplishments while wearing Prince George High School's iconic green-and-gold colors continue to be shared years after they took their last step on a PGHS athletic field.
SEE MORE PHOTOS: PGCPS on Flickr
Photography Credit: John Messina
Photography Credit: John Messina
Following dinner, the following individuals were honored as the latest class of inductees to the Prince George County Public Schools Athletic Hall of Fame:
- West Lescanec: Received the first full scholarship to the University of Virginia as a pitcher.
- Henry Freeman: One of the founding members of the USA Today Sports section, one of the United States' leading newspapers with nearly 160,000 average print circulation in 2022.
- Shareese Woods-Hicks: Earned United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) All-America honors four times while competing for UNC Charlotte. Four-time Atlantic 10 Conference Performer of the Year.
- Mickey Roberts: Coach of the 2018 Prince George High School state baseball championship team. Over his career, Roberts won 338 games as head baseball coach at Prince George High School. Roberts is a member of the Longwood University and United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA) Hall of Fame.
- Wayne Collins: Former baseball coach instrumental in constructing the current athletic field house at the Prince George High School stadium and lifelong supporter of Prince George athletics.
- Reverend Robert Livesay: Served as the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) Chaplain for Prince George High School's football and baseball programs and founding member of the Prince George County Chaplain Program.
- 2018 State Championship Baseball Team: After a spectacular season, the 2018 Prince George High School Royals baseball team would advance to the Virginia Class 5 state championship, facing off against the Potomac Panthers. On June 9, 2018, the Royals would hold Potomac runless through seven innings to win Prince George its first baseball state title in school history 8-0 over Potomac.
- 2018 State Championship Softball Team: Following a solid regular season and tournament performance, the Lady Royals advanced to the championship game against Brooke Point. Consistent offense and strategic defensive play by Prince George elevated the Lady Royals to their first state softball title in school history on June 9, 2018, with an 11-4 final score.
- The performance of both teams offered a rare first-time sweep in baseball and softball in the Virginia High School League (VHSL) championship matchups.
In October 2021, the Prince George Athletic Hall of Fame inducted its inaugural class, featuring icons of Prince George High School's athletic history. The class comprised the following individuals and teams: Hal Baird, Larry Brooks, Johnny Oates, Ron Rusnak, Dave Trickler, Coach Bill Woodby, and the 1961 State Championship Men's Basketball Team. For more information about these inductees, click HERE.